Jasmine Mulvihill, a junior right side hitter, and Teegan Starkey, a sophomore setter, of Concordia (St. Paul) were named to the American Volleyball Coaches Association's All-America first team in Division II.
Mulvihill, who averaged 4.63 points per set, was a repeat selection. Starkey helped the Golden Bears hit a nation-leading .306. She leads D-II with 12.55 assists per set.
St. Cloud State's Kenzie Foley, a junior outside hitter, made the second team.
No. 3 Concordia (St. Paul), 29-5 and the top seed, will play eighth-seeded Southern New Hampshire (19-7) in the national quarterfinals at 9:30 p.m. Thursday on the campus of Seattle Pacific.
Loons roster move
Minnesota United signed Honduran midfielder Joseph Rosales on transfer from CA Independiente in Panama's first division to a one-year contract with club options for 2024 and 2025.
Rosales, who just turned 22, arrived in Minnesota in August 2021 on loan from CA Independiente. He provided depth in the central midfield in 2022, when he played in 24 games. He started eight MLS games and two of three U.S. Open Cup games. He has started 10 of 34 games overall with the Loons.
Rosales played three seasons with CA Independiente and is a member of the Honduras men's national team who made his senior team debut in World Cup qualifying against Jamaica. He played on the Under-23 national team that faced Loons midfielder Hassani Dotson and the U.S. U-23 team in the 2020 Olympic qualifying tournament.
- The Gophers wrestling team will meet Augustana at 7 p.m. Thursday at Williams Arena. Minnesota has met the Division II Vikings once, routing them 53-0 on Dec. 5, 1997. As many as six Gophers could make their first career starts, including South Dakota native Quincy Hulverson at 125 pounds.
- The Gophers "A" 800-yard freestyle relay of Chris Morris, Bar Soloveychik, Kaiser Neverman and Alberto Hernandez finished third and broke the school record, set 13 years ago, by over four seconds with a time of 6 minutes, 16.25 seconds on the first day of the Minnesota Invitational. The men's 200 medley relay had its fastest time this season, 1:25.19, to place fourth.
- Graduate center back Gabbie Cesarone of the Gophers was named to the United Soccer Coaches NCAA Division I All-North Region women's third team. She led Minnesota with six goals and was second in points with 14.
- Three men's soccer players from St. Olaf — midfielders Robi Buzakovic and Victor Gaulmin and forward Shea Bechtel — and three from Gustavus — goalkeeper Wesley Sanders, defender Otis Anderson and midfielder Owen Johnson — made the United Soccer Coaches All-Region IX first team.
- The All-Region IX women's soccer first team includes St. Benedict defender Abby Willenbring, and two St. Catherine players, midfielder Sofia Campbell and forward Amanda Elton.