No charges will be filed in the 911 call earlier this month that ended with four Somali-American youths in handcuffs at Minnehaha Regional Park.
The case Minneapolis park police forwarded to the city attorney’s office was declined because there wasn’t enough evidence to identify the caller, interim park Superintendent Mary Merrill said Wednesday.
“We believe reporting false information puts people’s lives in danger and any person reporting false information should be held accountable,” she said.
Park police were called to the park about 7:30 p.m. on July 10 when a caller reported that four boys were involved in an assault and armed with weapons.
One officer pointed his gun at the teens, ages 13 to 16.
A bystander filmed and broadcast the incident in a social media post, which went viral.
Witnesses gave police information that contradicted the 911 caller, and the teens were unarmed.
Minneapolis City Attorney Susan Segal said the identity of the caller could not be confirmed because she used one name but the phone is registered to a different person.
“… the only description of the caller is that she was 16 or 17 years old, but the potential suspect is 5-6 years older,” she said.
The city released a transcript of the call Wednesday.
Asked by the dispatcher to describe the alleged weapons, the caller said, “They got sticks, knives, I don’t know.”
The caller told the dispatcher that one of the boys “keeps saying there’s a gun in his backpack.”
Segal said that although no gun was recovered, it’s not known “whether the statement was made to the 911 caller and whether she ‘knew’ it was false.”
Someone must make a claim “knowing that it is false” in order to be charged, according to state law.
An independent review looking at whether police followed policies, procedures and the law could be completed within a week.
Here's the transcript of the 911 call, as released by the city: