The Big Ten dropped its six-game minimum requirement for the league championship football game Wednesday, clearing that way for No. 3 Ohio State to take on No. 15 Northestern in another chance for the Buckeyes to burnish their playoff credentials.
The Buckeyes (5-0) will try for their fifth straight conference title when they face the Wildcats (5-1) in Indianapolis. Ohio State finished the regular season with only five games after Michigan had to pull out of Saturday's showdown because of COVID-19 issues.
Indiana-Purdue game called off
Indiana and Purdue have canceled Saturday's game because of an increase in COVID-19 cases at each school. It's the first time since 1919 that the annual in-state rivalry will not be played.
• The game between Utah and No. 21 Colorado in Boulder, Colo., has been moved to Saturday morning. The game was originally scheduled for Friday night.
• Marshall's regular-season finale against Charlotte on Friday night has been canceled because of injuries and a lack of available Thundering Herd players at key positions, which it attributed to COVID-19 issues.
• Washington paused football activities after a rise in positive COVID-19 cases within the Huskies' program, putting in doubt the fate of its game this Saturday against Oregon.
• SMU will be staying close to home to play in the Frisco Bowl. The Mustangs (7-3) accepted an invitation to be in the Dec. 19 game that will be played about a half-hour drive from their Dallas campus.
• LSU is self-imposing a one-year ban on postseason play for this season as part an effort to cooperate with an NCAA probe into rules violations.
AROUND THE HORN
WNBA: Former Las Vegas assistant Vickie Johnson was named the coach of the Dallas Wings, two years after she applied for the position and lost out to former Lynx coach Brian Agler.
Media: Former ABC baseball commentator Al Michaels was voted the Ford C. Frick Award for broadcast excellence by baseball's Hall of Fame.
Soccer: Chris Mueller scored twice in his international debut, Ayo Akinola got a goal in his first game and the United States overwhelmed El Salvador 6-0 in its fourth and final exhibition of the year.