• Twins President of Baseball Operations Derek Falvey said training camp at Target Field could have a lot of intrasquad games. "Pitchers are sometimes throwing four, five innings at a time against your own hitters. I would expect that to be the predominant way we will keep those pitchers active and ready."
• Twins pitching prospect Jhoan Duran made the 59-man roster and could be a big surprise. General Manager Thad Levine said about Duran at spring training: "He was one of the pieces that we acquired when we traded Eduardo Escobar to the Arizona Diamondbacks. That was a tough trade for us due to the popularity of Escobar. Duran was really the centerpiece of that deal. A righthanded starter, 6-5, 240 pounds, throws 94-98 with a four-pitch mix."
• Pro Football Focus ranked the Vikings' Harrison Smith and Anthony Harris as the best safety tandem in the NFL.
• Former Cooper and UNLV standout Rashad Vaughn recently signed with KK Buducnost in Montenegro for the 2020-21 season. Vaughn, 23, last played in the NBA in 2018. Also on that club is former Gophers guard Justin Cobbs. … Former Gophers guard Nate Mason has signed to play with Avtodor Saratov out of Russia for the 2020-21 season.
• ESPN has Cretin-Derham Hall point guard Tre Holloman ranked as the No. 59 boys' basketball recruit in the Class of 2022. The Gophers have offered Holloman a scholarship.
• Jimmy Shapiro of BetOnline out of Las Vegas notes that the Twins' Nelson Cruz is tied for the eighth-best odds to lead Major League Baseball in home runs this year at 20-1. Miguel Sano is tied for 21st at 28-1.
• One Gophers recruit to keep an eye on in football is Justin Johnson, a running back ranked as the eighth-best player in the state of Illinois for the class of 2021.