See more of the story

Administrators called off secondary school classes in the Richfield Public Schools on Monday after unspecified online threats received early in the morning, a decision coming days after gunfire wounded two people outside its high school football game last week.

"While we have been partnering with police to investigate the credibility of the threats, due to the timing and the recent events outside our homecoming game, we have made the decision to close our secondary schools today," read the announcement from district Superintendent Steven Unowsky.

The district did not disclose the nature of the threats or where they originated.

Instruction was canceled in the middle school and high school, the Richfield College Experience Program and a program in the South Education Center.

All elementary schools will remain open because "they were not the target of the threats," Unowsky's statement read. However, the grade schools and the Central Education Center were to have additional staff on site from the district office, as well as police patrols throughout the day.

"If families choose to keep their elementary students home for the day, it will be an excused absence if they follow their school's absence reporting procedures," Unowsky added.

"We are aware that this is an unsettling message to receive," the superintendent continued. "We are grateful to the Richfield community for your support and to the individuals who reported the threats to us."

On Friday, two people were wounded by gunfire outside the football facility where Richfield High School was playing its homecoming game against Bloomington Kennedy.

Richfield police announced Sunday that a 16-year-old boy, who is a former Richfield student, allegedly started the conflict. He was arrested Sunday morning in Edina, while a 15-year-old current Richfield student who allegedly fired the rounds that wounded the two victims was arrested Saturday night in Richfield.

The victims, ages 18 and 21, were last said to be in good condition and recovering at home. One was shot in both legs, and the other shot in one leg, according to an affidavit filed in Hennepin County District Court by police seeking permission to search the 16-year-old's home in the 7400 block of S. York Avenue.

Officials have yet to disclose a motive for the shooting.