See more of the story

Gophers guard Both Gach had his name officially removed Thursday from the NBA draft’s early entry list, sources told the Star Tribune.

Gach, a 6-foot-7, 185-pound Austin, Minn., native, transferred from Utah and joined his home state program earlier this month.

Underclassmen have until Monday to withdraw from the NBA draft and maintain their college eligibility. Although he intended to return to college, Gach was still going through the draft process and received feedback from NBA teams, including the Golden State Warriors on Tuesday.

The Gophers are now waiting on the same decision from point guard Marcus Carr. As a sophomore starter, Carr averaged 15.4 points, 5.3 rebounds and 6.7 assists.

To avoid having to sit out the 2020-21 season, Gach will need a waiver accepted by the NCAA. Coach Richard Pitino said the request will be sent out soon.

“Both has unbelievable work ethic,” Pitino said recently. “He can get to the basket, knock down the three and play in ball screens. We’ll have multiple guys in this program that can play at the next level.”

After averaging 10.7 points, 3.6 rebounds and 2.9 assists as a sophomore, Gach decided to transfer closer to home and still pursue his NBA dreams. His family has been going through a tough time during the COVID-19 pandemic.

“I had to look at the best situation where the program would use me really well,” Gach said this summer.

“And with my family situation, looking to support them in what they need. I feel like it’s a great thing to be back.”

Marcus Fuller