Five Flanagan facts
• A 36-year-old Oregon-based distance-running veteran who was born in Boulder, Colo., and raised in Massachusetts.
• Her mother, then Cheryl Bridges, ran the first sub-2-hour, 50-minute marathon by a woman in 1971.
• Sixteen-time national champion at varying distances.
• Finished second in New York in her debut marathon in 2010 but hadn't run New York since.
• This was her first marathon since finishing sixth at the Rio Olympic Games. She fractured her lower back last winter and missed the Boston Marathon in the spring.