See more of the story

The man identified as the person killed last month in his downtown Minneapolis apartment was a longtime performing arts instructor who overcame health challenges and kept teaching until the day he died.

Patrick D. Moore, 50, died April 22 in his home in the 600 block of N. 1st Street, the Hennepin County Medical Examiner's Office said Monday.

Jhmahl L. Shannon, 33, of Robbinsdale has been charged in Hennepin County District Court with second-degree murder in connection with Moore's death. Shannon remains jailed in lieu of $1 million bail and is due back in court May 25.

Despite the murder charges, the medical examiner has yet to conclude whether Moore was a homicide victim or explain how he died.

Moore was on the faculty at Lundstrum Performing Arts in north Minneapolis, said its managing director, Joan Olson.

Olson said that even after Moore had suffered strokes and needed a wheelchair and the help of an assistant, he continued to teach.

"He found his gift and life's passion in the arts," Olson said Tuesday. "He came out of East St. Louis (Ill.). His was a life that was saved by the arts."

Olson said that word of Moore's death "was such a shock to our kids. Now we just want to focus on his life and the impact he had, which was tremendous."

Moore's biography on the Lundstrum website said he was a "triple-threat performer and choreographer, who has sung, danced, acted and choreographed his way through 25 years in performing arts."

His professional performing credits included "The Wiz," "Five Guys Named Moe" and "Black Nativity," the bio page continued.

Amy Ellis, Lundstrum's executive director and one of Moore's closest friends, said he was supposed to have led rehearsals April 23 — the day after his death — for the center's performance of "Rolling on the River" during its annual gala May 7.

Ellis said the performers instead "just sat in a circle" and chose to remember and mourn.

"A lot of people are hurting," Ellis said. "His impact on students was unique and personal. He could just reach kids."

According to the criminal complaint against Shannon:

Shannon called 911 about 10:15 a.m. on the night of Moore's death and told police that he had knocked out a man who had sexually assaulted him. Shannon met officers outside the apartment building and was taken to HCMC for a sexual assault examination. He was then jailed.

Police found Moore on the floor just inside the apartment. He was declared dead at the scene.

Shannon told police he met the man at a downtown bar around closing time. He said they went to Moore's apartment with plans to smoke marijuana and party with other people. However, no one else showed up, and Moore didn't have any marijuana.

Shannon said Moore allowed him to sleep over and later awoke to Moore assaulting him.

He said he went to the bathroom and returned to the bed, where he pretended to be asleep. At some point, Moore attempted to pull down Shannon's underwear.

Shannon said he "wrapped his legs about [the] victim's neck and squeezed hard, strangling the victim," the charges read. Shannon also punched Moore while still strangling him.

An online fundraising campaign has been started by Moore's family to help with funeral expenses and other costs associated with his death. Ellis said a funeral is scheduled for Monday in East St. Louis, where Moore grew up.

"Even after surviving 3 strokes, Patrick continued to persevere and strive to make a difference for himself and others one day at a time!" the GoFundMe page established by the family explains. "Although he was paralyzed on one side from a stroke, Mr. Patrick continued to teach thousands of students from his chair."