The Home Inspector | Star Tribune

The Home Inspector

Reuben Saltzman is a second-generation home inspector with a passion for his work. Naturally, this blog is all about home inspections and home-related topics in the Twin Cities metro area. In addition to working at Structure Tech, he is also a licensed Truth-In-Sale of Housing Evaluator in Minneapolis, Saint Paul and several other cities.

Same house, second inspection... what now?

What happens when we get a request to inspect a house a second time? This question comes from a thousand other home inspectors.

FLIR ONE Pro: a home inspector's review

I had a chance to test out the FLIR ONE Pro Thermal Camera, which is a $399 mobile phone accessory with the same resolution as the FLIR E6.

Can I join ABS to PVC?

It's possible to join ABS to PVC, but it's only supposed to be done with a mechanical coupling, not glued. For the rest of the story, read on.

Animals, skeletons, and creepy home inspection photos

Workers for Structure Tech Home Inspections found this creepy doll hanging in an attic.

No need to go a haunted house attraction for Halloween. Home inspector Reuben Saltzman has photos of attics, basements and crawl spaces that will scare the wits out of you.

Hey, Minnesota homeowners: Here's your fall maintenance checklist

With freezing temperatures and flurries in the forecast later this week, the clock is ticking on getting your home prepared for a Minnesota winter.

Skylight leak? No, probably not.

I'm convinced that most moisture issues with skylights are condensation issues that are misdiagnosed as leaks.

Bonding gas piping

To make it really simple, when metal that can carry electricity (but shouldn't) gets connected together to eliminate potential, we call it bonding.

Thermal expansion of water and the role of an expansion tank

When a water heater is connected to a closed system, an expansion tank must be installed to prevent excessive pressure caused by thermal expansion.

Q&A: "Should I test for radon if the home already has a radon mitigation system?"

When a home already has an active radon mitigation system, is it even worth testing for radon? That's a great question.

Window safety film testing video

Dustin and I made a video discussing window film, hazardous locations for glass, and other stuff.

Why does my floor drain back up?

I wrote a blog post explaining the basics of a floor drain over eight years ago and received more comments on that post than any other.

Formaldehyde affected TJI Joists

I recently heard a rumor that TJI® Joists with Flak Jacket® protectionwere being treated with formaldehyde.

Are sewer inspections intrusive? No.

Are sewer inspections intrusive? Does the seller need to give special permission for a sewer inspection? Does the seller need to be notified?

3 pressing questions about toilets; a definitive answer for at least one

Toilets are a divisive topic, but today, home inspector and blogger Reuben Saltzman is setting the record straight once and for all.

Home inspection horror story: Putting a screw through water line

Ask any seasoned home inspector about stuff that has gone wrong on an inspection, and they'll surely have a good horror story or two for you.

Are home inspectors required to move ceiling panels?

I'm going to cut right to the chase: home inspectors are not required to move ceiling panels.

Minnesota permit requirements for radon mitigation systems

If you want to have a radon mitigation system installed in your home, you might need a permit. The requirements in Minnesota vary from city to city.

Minnesota home inspector training advice: join the ASHI Heartland chapter (it rocks)

If you're a Minnesota home inspector or aspire to become one, you should join the Heartland Chapter of the American Society of Home Inspectors (ASHI).

Q&A: Are anti-tip brackets required on ranges?

"Where can I find the requirement for an anti-tip bracket on a range?" This question comes from another home inspector.

Does your air conditioner use R-22 refrigerant? Here's why you should care

Seth McGinnis of Classic Heating and Air performed a follow-up check on a Carrollton, Texas, air-conditioning unit's refrigerant levels in 2011.

Most air conditioners use one of two types of refrigerant; R-22 or R-410A. The price of R-22 is starting to skyrocket, and prices won't be coming down.