Big Ten power rankings
Randy Johnson ranks ’em:
1. Penn State (6-0, 3-0): Bye comes at great time for Nittany Lions, who have Michigan, Ohio State and Michigan State next.
2. Ohio State (5-1, 3-0): Buckeyes routed Nebraska 62-3 last year. Should be a bit closer than that Saturday in Lincoln.
3. Wisconsin (5-0, 2-0): Badgers keep rolling, and now they face Purdue, who they’ve beaten 11 consecutive times.
4. Michigan State (4-1, 2-0): Back-to-back tight wins over Iowa and Michigan, and now Spartans visit Gophers for a night game.
5. Michigan (4-1, 1-1): Trip to Indiana should help Wolverines lick their wounds after loss to MSU.
6. Iowa (4-2, 1-2): Hawkeyes take inspiration from safety Brandon Snyder, who had pick-six vs. Illinois six months after tearing ACL.
7. Purdue (3-2, 1-1): Boilermakers have themselves a QB situation, after Elijah Sindelar rescued them when David Blough struggled vs. Gophers.
8. Maryland (3-2, 1-1): Don’t worry, Terps. You likely aren’t the last team to give up 60 or more to Ohio State.
9. Nebraska (3-3, 2-1): Huskers hung with Wisconsin for a while. Lincoln should be hopping for night visit from Buckeyes.
10. Gophers (3-2, 0-2): Offense showed promise, but finishing touch on defense needed.
11. Northwestern (2-3, 0-2): Wildcats need a win at Maryland to end downward spiral.
12. Indiana (3-2, 0-2): Hoosiers go from Charleston Southern to angry Wolverines.
13. Illinois (2-3, 0-2): Pressure’s on, Illini: gotta beat Rutgers to avoid the basement.
14. Rutgers (1-4, 0-2): Can Scarlet Knights end their 16-game Big Ten losing streak at Illinois?