Farro Broccoli Bowl With Lemony Tahini
Note: From Melissa Clark.
• 1 1/2 c. farro, rinsed and drained
• 4 eggs, washed under hot running water
• 2 1/2 tbsp. fresh lemon juice, plus more for serving
• 1 garlic clove, finely grated or minced
• 1/4 tsp. kosher salt, plus more as needed
• 1/3 c. extra-virgin olive oil, plus more as needed
• 3 tbsp. tahini
• 1 large head broccoli, cut into florets, tender stems sliced (about 1 1/4 lb.)
• 2 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil, plus more to drizzle
• 1 tsp. soy sauce, plus more for serving
• 2 tbsp. toasted sesame oil
• 1 tbsp. sesame seeds, plus more as garnish
• Thinly sliced Hakurei turnips or radishes, for serving, optional
• 1 green onion, thinly sliced
• Hot sauce or thinly sliced green chiles, for serving, optional
Bring a medium pot of salted water to a boil. Add farro and the whole eggs in shell. Cook eggs for 6 minutes for very runny centers and 7 minutes for medium-runny. Use a slotted spoon to transfer eggs to a bowl of cold water. Let them sit for 2 minutes, then crack and carefully peel the eggs.
Continue to let the farro cook until done, according to package directions, usually a total of 20 to 40 minutes. Drain farro.
As farro cooks, prepare the dressing: In a medium bowl, whisk together lemon juice, garlic and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Let sit for 1 minute, then whisk in oil, a few drops at a time, until emulsified. Whisk in tahini and set aside.
Position the rack underneath your broiler so that it’s at least 4 inches away from the heating element; heat the broiler.
On a rimmed baking sheet, toss broccoli with olive oil and soy sauce, then spread the pieces out into an even layer. Broil until slightly charred in spots, 2 to 5 minutes, watching closely so that it doesn’t burn all over (a few burned spots are OK). Let cool slightly, then toss with sesame oil and sesame seeds and cover to keep warm. (Alternately, you can also roast the broccoli at 450 degrees for 8 to 15 minutes instead of broiling.)
Toss cooked farro with 5 to 6 tablespoons tahini dressing to taste, a large pinch of salt and a drizzle of olive oil. Taste, and add salt and olive oil if needed.
To serve, divide farro among 4 serving bowls and drizzle with remaining dressing. Top with turnips, and sprinkle them with lemon juice and salt. Add broccoli and egg to the bowl and garnish with green onions and more sesame seeds. Serve immediately, with soy sauce, hot sauce and/or sliced chiles on the side.
Nutrition information per serving:
Calories 745 Fat 46 g Sodium 320 mg
Carbohydrates 69 g Saturated fat 7 g Total sugars 4 g
Protein 23 g Cholesterol 190 mg Dietary fiber 15 g
Exchanges per serving: 2 vegetable, 4 starch, 1 medium-fat protein, 7 fat.