Soft, rich, luxurious, glamorous. Yes, velvet is all of this and more. The plush, elegant fabric that can add a touch of refinement and elegance to nearly any space. It is also a wonderful contrast material that helps warm up a room. While materials such as leather are hard or may be perceived as cool, velvet adds comfort and serves as a wonderful accent or contrast to other materials, while adding interest and depth. Looking for interesting ways to incorporate velvet into your home? Here are 10 tips:
1. Incorporate an accent piece, such as a bench with a velvet seat.
2. Consider a velvet accent in a bright or festive hue, to add a pop of color.
3. Mix velvet with other materials such as faux fur, leather or fabric, to soften an overall look.
4. Try a velvet wall covering.
5. Bring velvet into your bedroom, such as a velvet headboard, to convey calm and serenity.
6. Layer your velvet pieces. Don't be afraid to mix different colors.
7. Look for complementary velvet pieces to accent your decor, such as side chairs.
8. Consider darker fabrics. One of the appealing aspects of velvet is being able to see the plush hand of the material, which is typically easier to notice with darker colors.
9. Add embellishments to highlight velvet pieces, such as tufting or nail heads.
10. Purchase some large upholstered pieces to make a bold statement, such as a velvet sofa or chaise.
Cathy Hobbs is a New York-based TV host and interior design and home-staging expert.