The No. 23 Gophers women’s soccer team lost 2-0 against Northwestern on Thursday night in Evanston, Ill.
Minnesota (9-3-3, 5-2-1 Big Ten) had won five matches in a row and had a 7-5 edge in shots on goal.
The Wildcats (7-6-2, 4-3-1) took a 1-0 lead on Brenna Lovera’s goal in the 21st minute; Michele Chernesky made it 2-0 in the 44th minute.
• The struggling Gophers women’s hockey team (1-2-1, 0-1-1) goes on the road for the first time this weekend. No. 9 Minnesota will face Bemidji State twice at the Sanford Center, at 3 p.m. Friday and Saturday. The Gophers, who are giving up 3.25 goals per game, were 5-2 against the Beavers last season.
• Shamaur McDowell, a three-star cornerback recruit from IMG Academy in Bradenton, Fla., rescinded his verbal commitment to the Gophers on Twitter.
• Joe Hedstrom, a 6-10, 200-pound center for Hopkins High School, verbally committed to Wisconsin, according to the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel. Hedstrom will walk on as a freshman and go on scholarship his second year.
• The American Association will switch from three to two divisions next season. The St. Paul Saints will be in the North Division with expansion-franchise Chicago, Fargo-Moorhead, Gary, Sioux Falls and Winnipeg.
• Dale Jones of Mendakota CC beat Larry Norland of Greenhaven GC 1-up to win the state PGA Senior Match Play Championship at Somerset Country Club in Mendota Heights.